Whether this is your first time moving house, or if you would simply like to have a better experience than you had last time, it is helpful if you have all your moving supplies handy from the start. This guide will fill you in on all the moving supplies you will need, other than boxes, of course!
- Tape – Good packing tape is important, especially to make sure the bottom of your boxes hold together. You can use scissors to cut, but then you have to constantly try to find where the roll begins again. Do yourself a favor and splurge a few extra dollars on a dispenser.
- Labels – A marker is imperative. This will allow you to write room names and special handling instructions on the boxes. You can also use colored stickers to label boxes according to room, and for the most organized move, use packing labels.
- Covers – Mattress covers are essential! They usually run around $10, depending on size and they will protect your mattress as it is dragged across a muddy lawn or rained on. You can also buy covers for sofas and chairs, as well, but these items do not seem to ever take the abuse a mattress does. Do not forget one for your box spring, too!
- Packing Products – Most people looking for a list of moving supplies needed in addition to boxes know they need packing products, but are not quite sure what. Bubble wrap, packing peanuts, and glass packs all generally come to mind. However, you probably have a lot of supplies around the house you can use, as well.
- Scissors or Knife – You do not necessarily need scissors or a knife for packing, but you do want to remember to pack one in your essentials box, so you have something to cut boxes open with at your new place.
- Moving Blankets – The best moving companies will have these available to wrap your television, glass cabinet, wood table, etc., but they will likely charge for them. It will be cheaper to just buy them.