There are a lot of moving checklists floating around the internet, but they all seem to be missing something. You have to essentially print several lists to create one master list, and then you have to deal with duplication. Forget all that nonsense! If you want to move like the pros, this is the only moving guide you will need!
One Month Prior
- Evaluate your belongings and determine what size moving truck rental you will need. If you are using moving pods instead then you will need to figure out how many you will need delivered.
- Pick up all your supplies. You can get free boxes from local stores and restaurants or you can order recycled ones online. You may even choose to use plastic, environmentally-friendly bins. You will need packing materials, a mattress cover, blanket, tape, and marker.
- Start packing early. Anything out of season will not be missed. Plus, things like book collections, antiques, etc., can be done early, too. It is a good idea to get rid of everything you do not need or want. You can donate it, or if you have time, have a garage sale.
Two Weeks Prior
- Deal with paperwork. This includes everything from transfer school, medical, and vet records to gathering important documents, such as birth and marriage certificates, passports, and insurance papers.
- Change address with the post office, credit cards, employer, bank, and subscriptions. Cancel the newspaper and pay the delivery boy, too.
- Schedule start, stop, or transfer service with utilities, waste, cable, and internet providers.
- Recruit help! Let family and friends know your moving day, so they do not make plans. See if someone can watch your children and/or pets.
One Day Prior
- The most important chore on this moving day checklist is to make sure an essentials box is packed for everyone in the house. It should include all the clothes, toiletries, toys, etc., needed for the first 24 hours.
- Disconnect all appliances. Be sure to unplug the fridge and freezer 24 hours in advance so they defrost.
- Use tape to secure cords or all appliances.
- Clean as much as you can around the boxes, so there is less to do later.
- Pick up your moving truck rental. This way you will not have to deal with it in the morning. You may even want to carry a few loads out, if you have time.