If you are determined to handle the move yourself without the help of Austin movers then you will need a few DIY moving tips to help ensure a smooth experience. Most people learn from their mistakes during a move, but if you can avoid some of those mistakes completely you will be so much better off. Obviously, hiring movers is always the easiest and most convenient solution, but that does not mean that a do-it-yourself move has to be a bad experience.
- Rent a Truck – Your buddies have pickup trucks, so you can just load them up and make a few trips, right? Big mistake! First of all, this is just inviting Mother Nature to be uncooperative for the day. Second, items can fly out or get damaged by rocks and debris. Besides, gasoline is expensive! You are better to go with a moving truck rental and get it all done in one load.
- Lift with Your Knees – Everyone knows to squat and lift, yet every year thousands of people end up with a sore or injured back from bending over and lifting.
- Take Breaks – It is important that you do not allow yourself to get overly exhausted. This is when you start using bad form and are more likely to get injured. Stay hydrated and munch on high energy snacks.
- Downsize – The less stuff you have to pack, the less you will have to move. Donate, sell, or trash anything you do not need anymore.
- Watch Your Step – Whether it is raining, snowing, or if the grass is simply wet with morning dew, these can all create slick walking conditions. Plus, when you walk in the house your wet shoes will slide on the floor. Create a walking path with rugs, or keep old towels or rags on hand to keep the floor dry.
- Book the Elevator – If you are moving into an apartment complex or high rise one of the most important DIY moving tips to keep in mind is to find out if you need to reserve the service elevator or moving dock.
- Portable Moving Units – Moving pods are a convenient alternative to renting a truck. You fill them and they get picked up and delivered to your new place to empty at your own convenience.