If you are hiring movers, Houston has a lot to offer. However, even if you compare quotes and schedule during the off-season, the process can put a huge dent in your budget. Fortunately, there are places where you can get moving supplies and moving boxes for free, which will help with your overall cost.
- Restaurants and Bars – Whether you frequently visit the cozy neighborhood pub at the end of your road, or if you have a few high-priced restaurants nearby that you could never afford to eat at, these places have sturdy liquor and food boxes. If you get food boxes, always inspect them to make sure they are dry and clean.
- Stores – Grocery, office supply, and liquor stores all receive regular shipments. Simply call and find out if you can pick up the boxes from their next shipment.
- Craigslist – Quite often, you can find folks giving away boxes from their own move. With the increased concern over the environment, folks want to see cardboard used until it just cannot be used anymore.
- Borrow – Do you know someone who has moved lately? Maybe they saved all their moving boxes for the next time they relocate. Perhaps they will let you borrow them, if you promise to return when you are done. Alternately, if you can also borrow luggage and gym bags, then these can be put to use, too.
- Your Home – The best place to get free moving supplies is in your home. You may need to get boxes elsewhere, but you likely have a lot of things that can be used. For example, towels and t-shirts can be used to wrap breakables. Sweatshirts are great to provide the bottom of a fragile-filled box with cushioning and socks can easily replace packing peanuts. Money saved from not paying for supplies will help offset the cost of moving services.